Re: [LAU] raspi as midi synth

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 24 2014 - 01:03:35 EET

On 24/02/14 05:09, Milan Lazecky wrote:
> hi folks,
> i have a yamaha wx5 (midi saxophone). i was thinking to use my midi2usb
> cable to plug into raspberry pi which would use some fluidsynth soundfonts
> to synthesize music realtime.
> do you know about such project existing, or should i work on it from
> beginning? (i.e. find some rt kernel, install sw, rearrange system for no
> gui etc...)
> do you think raspberry can handle it well?

USB is probably your biggest issue here, provided the raspberry can handle the
synthesis you want to do, you can help by assigning only a minimum of memory to
the GPU. No need to do any other rearranging of the system, with raspbian it
starts out headless (with X installed if you want to launch it) and capable of
quite low latencies. It has a basic minimum of processes running and ready to
add what you want from the extensive repository with apt-get. The settings to
work headless are mostly the default. These are great advantages in terms of
time required to get it running.

USB implementation is poor and only some audio cards work, plus something else
on USB like a midi input or networking will make it trickier. In your case,
needing only stereo out, it is certainly easier.

Seriously consider an audio solution that can use HDMI audio out.

Simon