Re: [LAU] Music Editors for Blind Users?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2014 - 17:47:50 EET

> A question to the OP, sorry, your mail was to long to read right now,
> perhaps I'll read it later.
>
> Do you prefer speech synth or braille?

I can only use speech synth via software. I don't have a Braille
display nor a hardware voice synth.

> As you require the audio reading tools, you need to do one of two
> things... use two audio devices one for the screen reader and one for
> audio i/o and jack. Or use pulse and jackd(bus) bridged together. Lots of
> people don't like pulse for political/personal/performance reasons.

I read complaints of it affecting screen reader performance too, among
other problems (in fact, most things I found about it were
complaints), so I prefer not to use it.

> Sorry, there is a third option. You can create an alsa device that is
> really just connected to a jack port. This uses less cpu than pulse. You
> have to have all this set up before the screen reader starts.

Meaning that I won't have any audio feedback until I get that setup
right. Maybe the easiest option is really to use a second device...

> Not so sure about slackware's stock kernels, but the patch is not really
> needed so long as the preempt switch is on. In ubuntu it is the
> -lowlatency kernel and uses all the same video drivers as stock. Slackware
> may have something similar, but even if not, rolling your own kernel on
> the same source tree with no patch but the option changed should work with
> the stock video too.

Here, it's kernel 3.10.17. The threadirqs and 1000Hz options are on,
but the preempt option (out of all things) is not :(.

> Aiyumi Moriya wrote:
>> * Each note shown as only one event, by matching the note on with it's
>> respective note off. This way we don't need to struggle scrolling
>> through the events trying to match the ons and offs.
>
> All the gui based midi editors do this, so it is not an unreasonable
> request. Notes have a start time and length rather than a start time and
> an end time.
>
>> * Possibility of inserting/editing/deleting all types of events,
>> including text events, lyrics and SysEx messages.
>
> Just work to add it. But remember most authors do this stuff as a hobby
> too.

Of course.

If I had the knowledge/skills, I would do it.

> Aiyumi Moriya wrote:
>> While my dream DAW doesn't come true, does anyone know a command line
>> way to record MIDI while simultaneously playing an audio file and
>> keeping both in sync (even if it involves JACK)?
>
> Nama[2] is a command-line application that uses Ecasound for
> recording and editing audio. Although it is currently
> oriented toward audio, Nama can send commands to a midish
> process, and has been used with midish and a2jmidi[3] for
> combined audio/MIDI recording under JACK.
>
> A simple hack for starting audio and MIDI in sync was to put
> midish and ecasound commands in the same line:
>
> nama> midish-command r; start # For midish, "r" means "record"
>
> I expect we'll eventually add in a MidiTrack class that
> would handle MIDI recording and playback. For now, you
> would have to issue all the midish commands yourself.

Oh, that's great to know. I probably wouldn't have guessed.

Everyone, thank you all for the tips :).