Re: [LAU] internal sound source for Audacity

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 05 2014 - 23:45:06 EET

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014, Brian Hagen wrote:

> I have an unusually pleasant surprise here: a MIDI wind controller
> can drive a software synth without even having both of their apps
> running. I would like to be able to get the resulting audio-signal
> that is an output from this (normally sent to the PC's speakers)
> redirected to Audacity's input-selector so that I can record it.

Yes you can use jack for this.

  - Audacity auto connects and so you need to manually disconnect and
reconnect.
  - Audacity does not connect until record is started. The best thing to do
is hit pause, then record, then make connection changes in jack, then
unpause to begin recording.
  - Audacity is not listed in jack under it's own name but the name of the
library it uses to make jack ports.
  - The name of the port for audacity changes every time you hit record so
this can not be automated... maybe with wild cards.

For just recording, I would use mhwaveedit which works with jack
"properly", that is it makes jack ports as soon as started and they remain
as long as the program is running. Once the wav file is recorded there may
be some editing tasks that Audacity does better (some of the built in
effects).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net