[LAU] Need suggestions for lightweight audio programs

From: LM <lmemsm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 08 2014 - 19:07:08 EET

I'm trying to find lightweight compiled audio programs that will work
well on older computers or computers with limited resources. I'd like
to add more music resource recommendations to the Schoolforge web site
( https://www.schoolforge.net/ ) and think it would be useful for
students or schools working with older or second-hand computers.

As a starting point, I'll list some of the programs I've run across or
used that might meet the needs of students or users wanting to
develop/create/edit music on older machines. I've tried to
concentrate on command line, ncurses, SDL and FLTK based applications
since many are lightweight enough to work well on older or low memory
machines. If you have recommendations for other programs not listed,
would appreciate very much if you would let me know.

abcmidi - abc notation to midi and midi to abc conversion:
http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/
abcm2ps - abc notation to sheet music in PDF format:
http://moinejf.free.fr/
TiMidity++ - midi/midi Karaoke player, converts midi to wave using
soundfonts/gus patches:
http://timidity.sourceforge.net/
Milkytracker - mod file creator/player:
http://www.milkytracker.org/
sox - Sound eXchange:
http://sox.sourceforge.net/
gramofile - record records and other input, has pop filter:
http://www.opensourcepartners.nl/~costar/gramofile/
Wave utilities:
http://billposer.org/Software/waveutils.html
WaveProject:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/waveproject/
Soundtouch library and program to change tempo, pitch and playback
rates (library used by audacity):
http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/
Xiph.org has several useful command line programs and libraries:
https://www.xiph.org/downloads/
fast and light recorder, FLTK front end for sox:
http://www.matteolucarelli.net/flrec/index_en.htm
FLTK audio editor (I'm working on some patches to get it to compile
with FLTK 1.3.2 and later compilers and possibly add some new
features.):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apcstudio/
audio examples using SDL-widgets GUI library:
http://members.chello.nl/w.boeke/SDL-widgets/
alsamixergui, FLTK front end to mixer:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/alsamixergui
umix, ncurses mixer for Unix and Linux systems:
http://umix.sourceforge.net/