Re: [LAU] debugging hiss

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2014 - 04:42:57 EET

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 14:04 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> First of all disable Pulse, or get rid of it. Don't know how to
>> do that on Debian.
>
> To get rid of it by removing and not disabling it and assumed there
> should be a hard dependency to pulseaudio, the easiest way is to build a
> dummy package using equivs.
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

Thanks Ralf

Actually I am on debian because ubuntu was forcing pulseaudio which
was too much of a headache.
When debian started doing the same, I decided to opt out of a clearly
losing battle :-(

I just checked :
Trying to remove pulseaudio-utils and pavucontrol does not disturb anything
Trying to remove libpulse0 removes everything!

In any case the hiss problem is for now 'cured' -- not sure how
Some fiddling in the alsamixer which includes
-- 6 channels
-- turning off all 'mic-ly' stuff in playback
-- turning on <something else> dont exactly remember

My only question now -- apart from "What the hell does a mic in
playback mean?!" -- should I file a bug with xfce4-mixer for having
only a playback tab?