Re: [LAU] jack/oversampling

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2014 - 17:58:27 EET

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> for a project, i'm working with 192 khz, but unfortunately, none of my
> audio interfaces (rme multiface and fireface ucx) support 192khz. the
> ucx supports 192khz in hardware, but the usb/alsa/class-compliant mode
> only seems to go up to 96khz. so i wonder, is there any way to perform
> upsampling within jack?

Personally, I would mix the project at 48k or 96k and upsample the
finished product. I don't think you gain anything by upsampling before
processing. Your whole system has to do twice the work for no gain and so
you have limits to your effects options before you would at the lower
rate. Contracts may make this harder, or live streaming (in this
case the conversion can happen on the way out though) or working with
some material that is already at the higher rate. If you must have
the high sample rate going into jack, then zita-a2j is the way to go.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net