Re: [LAU] legacy equipment for a user who does not "program"

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2014 - 09:28:51 EET

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:17:36AM -0500, Brian Hagen wrote:
> Hello,
> Although I was a programmer a long, long, time ago in a
> company far, far away, I cannot seem to get the hang of complicated
> Linux packages which require complex actions just to get an
> "app installed" on a Linux machine.

Errr, what?

> I have an Ensoniq ESQ1 which just seems unable to interact
> with any WIN/OS-based software, despite what people tout
> as easy-to-use programs. I have tried to download and install
> Linux MIDI items, and almost all of them require complex configuration
> even to get them into the system. All I really want to do at this

Errrr, what? Example, please?

> point is get an application running which will upload and download
> patches; nothing yet in the way of realtime operations such as recording.
> A big part of this appears to be the MIDI hardware used as an
> interface; most of those "apps" expect to find the classic
> Roland MPU401, and those are scarce as could be these days.
> The old apps apparently cannot recognize anything based
> on USB ports.

Which "old apps"? Everything has used ALSA for at least the past 15 years. The app does not care (and indeed cannot even see) what the hardware actually is, just that it's a thing it can stuff MIDI messages into and sometimes MIDI messages come out.

> Yes, I can do a make/install sequence, but those resulting
> error messages usually point to matters beyond my understanding
> such as GTK+ levels, " missing [.so] files", etc. Those usually stop me
> in my tracks, and then things don't go any farther.

Stop whining about complexity and give us some details. Which distro are you using? Which specific apps?

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ