Re: [LAU] android for the linux user ...was: legacy equipment for a user who does not "program"

From: Federico Galland <federicogalland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2014 - 17:54:00 EET

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 01:44:20 +1100
Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 18/03/14 00:28, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >
> > On 03/17/2014 09:15 AM, Joe Hartley wrote:
> >>
> >> I have used Linux since the Yggdrasil days where you had to compile
> >> everything from scratch...
> >>
> >> I don't miss those days at all.
> >>

> > I don't miss them nor do I regret a single second I spent in that learning process.
>
> Kind of related, but the other end of the GUI v DIY spectrum ...
>
> I'm only just now diving into Android ... this year's Samsung Note offering. It
> is proving a nice device, 4 cores with an additional processor for the pen and a
> very nice screen. But it's getting very frustrating looking at wizards with
> three options, none of which suit, then scrounging around a zillion half-baked
> apps available which may or may not do what I want. A bit like looking through a
> zillion offerings via apt-get for the first time, but without the quality
> control, man pages, web pages and community history and support that comes built
> in with debian.
>
> Everything is GUI. Everything is simplified. Very little is possible at any
> particular step, and the offerings are all context determined so the same path
> will lead to a different set of choices in slightly changed circumstances. By
> default, everything non-wizard-ish is hidden, mostly locked away by default,
> there is almost no documentation. It's all plug and play, or not.
>
> The basic things it does built in are done well, the interface is well thought
> out, flexible and effective, and with a bluetooth keyboard and my old Lifebook
> pen which is proper sized with an extra button (middle click) all dealt with
> properly and cleanly it is going to be very nice when I get it sorted. But
> discover-ability is not there at all. Plus anything out of the standard "be a
> good consumer" thing may require writing it yourself in Java, or struggling with
> someone else's undocumented offering which suited their particular needs and device.
>
> Any hints appreciated ... an app called juiceSSH has given me a command line
> locally, and ssh access to my other machines with a clean interface and good
> keyboard support. And the wacom pen works very well, with very nice built in
> support for handwriting recognition, maths formulas and such ... so the two main
> reasons I got it are working.
>
> I've got an Xserver installed, XSDL, which looks very promising and a debian
> chroot seems best but which method is the best? I've tested an app which has
> gimp and inkscape on an xfce desktop, it runs fine, the device copes easily, the
> (X display from XSDL seems better though, I will use it instead). It is
> apparently just a debian chroot so this path will be successful.
>
> Haven't yet added an admin account, first I am seeing what is possible without
> it. But the command line isn't much use, even man is in /sbin it seems.
>
> Hints from those who have been here already much appreciated!
>

> Simon

I had a smartphone which was literally eaten by my dog, but before that, I used to download apps from the F-droid repos, which are mostly FOSS.

IMHO Android sucks, but the apps in those repos at least don't bother you with ads and nonsense.

To be honest, I'm happy I don't have a cellphone anymore...

Cheers!