Re: [LAU] OT: android for the linux user ...was: legacy equipment for a user who does not "program"

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 18 2014 - 17:10:27 EET

On 03/18/2014 10:23 AM, Simon Wise wrote:
>> an option to disable that I haven't been able to find it, and I can't get
>> inbound connections to work with either. But for mounting stuff over sftp,
>> it works reasonably well on wifi.
> if sftp works but not a shell then it is possibly Samsung blocking it with
> Knox, if your Galaxy has it. I'll let you know if I succeed in turning it
> down without removing it.

sftp and shell both work over wifi, but neither work over the cell network.
I thought it was due to the ipv6 thing, but today I have an ipv4 address
and still can't connect -- and whatismyip.com tells me I have a different
address, suggesting that my carrier has me behind a proxy. (That IP address
doesn't work, either.) But the stock shell, as you observed, is not that
useful, especially without root. So, even on wifi, I pretty much only use
it for sftp.

I don't seem to have Knox on my phone; I haven't seen the shield, and
there's nothing about it in settings. There's a system update that's been
pending since I got the phone, and I've been avoiding letting it install
precisely because I don't want that. (On XDA's forum for my carrier's
version of the phone, there are lots of threads that mention "de-Knoxed"
stock ROMs.)

Rob