Re: [LAU] Proposal for 'lo-fi' music competition

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2014 - 20:44:56 EET

On 03/17/2014 12:27 PM, Benoît Rouits wrote:
> Le 17/03/2014 18:29, Louigi Verona a écrit :
>> Lo-fi competition is a great idea, imho.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Lorenzo Sutton
>> <lorenzofsutton@gmail.com <mailto:lorenzofsutton@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 17/03/2014 03:20, Paul Davis wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Lorenzo Sutton
>> <lorenzofsutton@gmail.com <mailto:lorenzofsutton@gmail.com>
>> <mailto:lorenzofsutton@gmail.__com
>> <mailto:lorenzofsutton@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>> In light of the interesting discussion on sample rates I
>> propose a
>> music competition among LAU around production of music
>> pieces with
>> quality considered 'low' by current dominating
>> professional/audiophile standards in the digital domain:
>>
>> Specifics to be discussed, but I would start with the
>> following:
>>

>> can we just re-record the beatles or miles davis from vinyl and
>> consider
>> it done?
>>

>> You got he point - well said :-)
>
> i have somewhere (if i can find it) some field recording taken with a
> mono, 8bit, 16KHz rate from a so-called dictaphone, overdubbed with a
> stereo piano track at 16bit/44.1Khz.. the effect is not so bad.
> Well, to say, lo-fi is interseting to me. this proposition is a good
> idea, and sometime big restrictions can lead to cool productions.
> - Ben

I could try recording things with my Palm Tungsten T3 PDA, it has a
built-in mic. Getting recordings out adds yet another conversion step,
since the only way I can get a recording out of it is to plug the
headphone out jack into my sound card and record it as the PDA plays it ...

First piece of music I ever heard that had been digitized was a bit of a
Van Halen song that had been digitized using a Commodore 64's direct
input connection (an 8-bit connection direct to the CPU). The CPU ran at
about 1MHz and spent about 25% of its cycles dedicated to video stuff,
so I have no idea what the effective sample rate was. The singing and
words were recognizable.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com