Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 17:02:40 EEST

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Your 'musician' seems to be one for whom everything
> has to be prepared before and easy, so the only thing
> that remains to be done is some clicking on a screen.
> And then think him/herself a musician just as the
> kids wasting their time with shoot-and-kill games
> imagine they are soldiers.
>
> Your 'musician' is in fact just cannon fodder for
> an industry that is about making fast money and little
> else. And he wouldn't even be able to exist without
> the efforts of those who can rightly call themselves
> musicians and be proud of it.

For some reason the Linux community tends to promote radical views
without the need to resort to the "golden middle", as seen above.

For instance, a plenty of presets and samples shipped with a DAW means:

1) It's easy to learn how to use the DAW and its tools and then move on.
2) Granted, it's easy to abuse presets and prerecorded samples.

Robin might correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary objective of him
creating Reasonable Synth shipped with A3 is that A3 used to produce
_no sound whatsoever_ when you tried to play back a .mid file in the
importing dialog. And there had been no synths in the binary bundle
before either, AFAIK.

Moreover, not producing any sound by default from MIDI data is exactly
the problem that Rosegarden specifically had to address in the _FAQ_
(not even actual features). And Qtractor doesn't make it a lot easier
either.

Don't you see what's wrong with this picture?

If getting started and/or having a smooth composition workflow is too
difficult, it doesn't really matter how powerful your software is.
People just give up.

That said, Linux DAWs are not yet ready for instruments with tons of
presets anyway. Try navigating Amsynth with its hundreds of patches
from a plain list in either A3 or Qtractor, and you'll soon give up
too :)

Alexandre