Re: [LAU] New Website and Music

From: Gerald Mwangi <gerald.mwangi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 06 2014 - 18:53:55 EEST

Hi Carlo

Well, the recording was done in our rehearsal room. We miked the drums
with a set of 6 AKG mics (Kick,2xToms,snare were dynamic, 2x condenser
mics for cymbals/high hat).
For Need My Sleep, we fed the drums into a mixer and recorded the stereo
output with an M-Audio mobile pre.
For the others we used a Focusrite Saffire 26 together with a Fostex
VM200 to record the drums and the rest of the band to 10 or 11
individual tracks. For the singers we used a Sure 57 and an AKG mic,
I've forgotten which, since the female singer left the band (We have a
WAAAYY better singer now!!). So the guitar was sent through a Line6 POD
2, simulating a Fender Blackface and the Bass went directly into the
Saffire. The walls in the room are covered with diffusive material to
minimize reflections.
Mixing of Need My Sleep and (preliminary mixing) of Faith was done in
Ardour.
Out There was mixed and mastered by a friend who uses Cubase+UAD
Apollo+Windows, he really managed to get more out of the recordings then
I did, when I tried to mix it. He has more experience.
So its not all 100% linux as I'd like it to be, but I'll keep trying!
Regards
Gerald