Re: [LAU] 96 kHz -- a bottleneck somewhere

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 08 2014 - 15:22:47 EEST

On 27/04/14 03:23, Jonathan E Brickman wrote:
> I decided to try 96 kHz audio with the S.R.O. (Supermega Rumblic Organ), my slightly Aslan-like synth (it is not a tame device really), and found items which may be of interest:
>
> 1. At 96 kHz, schedtool definitely matters. Taking it out increased xruns a
> lot. I tried to figure out what was interfering via htop, but it was very
> unclear. So I'm keeping the schedtool for now. I could believe that if I
> reengineer for a zero-X default setup (likely to happen in the future) this
> problem might go away, X and the desktop certainly do have lots of demands.
> I *think* the only big piece missing for me in this is keymapping, I use
> F-keys to switch patches, quite easy in both LXDE and MATE.

thd .... otherwise known as trigger-happy-daemon ... does keymapping without X,
debian package is:
triggerhappy

Description-en: global hotkey daemon for Linux
  Triggerhappy watches connected input devices for certain key presses
  or other input events and runs administrator-configured
  commands when they occur. Unlike other hotkey daemons, it runs as a
  persistent, systemwide service and therefore can be used even
  outside the context of a user or X11 session.
  .
  It can handle a wide variety of devices (keyboards, joysticks,
  wiimote, etc.), as long as they are presented by the kernel as
  generic input devices. No kernel patch is required. The daemon is
  a userspace program that polls the /dev/input/event? interfaces
  for incoming key, button and switch events. A single daemon can
  monitor multiple input devices and can dynamically add additional
  ones. Hotkey handlers can be assigned to dedicated (tagged) devices
  or globally.
  .
  For example, this package might be useful on a headless system to
  use input events generated by a remote control to control an
  mpd server, but can also be used to allow the adjustment of audio
  and network status on a notebook without relying on user specific
  configuration.
  .
  Key combinations are supported as well as the hotplugging of devices
  using a udev hotplug script; the running daemon can also be influenced
  by a client program, e.g. to temporarily pause the processing of
  events or switch to a different set of hotkey bindings.
Homepage: http://github.com/wertarbyte/triggerhappy

Simon