Re: [LAU] Ground lifts, TRS, etc. to PA? USB/other signal crossover to audio?

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 10 2014 - 23:06:36 EEST

On Friday, May 09, 2014 07:14:53 PM Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Fri, 09 May 2014 13:01:57 -0500
>
> Reuben Martin <reuben.m@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Potential difference by getting the power from different main jacks or
> > > experiencing ground loops, because you don't care about a correct
> > > grounding are no excuse to give a life-endangering "hint".
> >
> > I'm not suggesting to cut the ground pin off. When you use an AC ground
> > lift they come with a metal ring to re-direct the ground connection so
> > that equipment using different power sources can share a common ground.
> Link to highly dangerous item not repeated!
>
> How on earth is this legal? Do you *really* think most people will be savvy
> enough to know that you're supposed to connect the tab to a proper earth?
> Would they even know what a proper earth was?
>
> There is absolutely no way of ensuring the earth is ever connected at all! A
> properly designed 3pin connector ensures the earth is always connected
> first, and disconnected last. It's the *only* safe way to work.

Perhaps I assume too much thinking the proper handling of power and wiring is
common knowledge. I deal with power issues on such a regular bases in my job,
that I sometimes forget that all too often people are messing with power who
have a very poor understanding of what they are doing.

I work in large event audio-video-lighting production, so it's very common for
me to be encounter power hazards that would probably give most people on this
list the creeps.

-Reuben