Re: [LAU] Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 12 2014 - 11:24:34 EEST

On 05/12/2014 10:02 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Harry,
>
> "And hyperthreading (usually a bios setting)?"
>
> Will try to turn it off.

Hi Louigi,

With the JACK settings you're using this probably won't make a
difference. If you go really low latency-wise you might run into issues.

> "Personal experience with an Acer tm 5720, even setting to powersave
> governed makes xruns / fallouts go away."
>
> are you suggesting that at powersave mode things are actually better? Why?
> I just tried doing this, xruns continue to be generated.

Disabling scaling, so setting a governor that doesn't change the CPU
freq, should yield better results, no matter which governor this is.

> Lorenzo,
>
> "Did this include turning CPU Scaling off and setting _all cores_ to
> "performance"?"
>
> Yep.
>
> "Also switching off (internal) wifi improves the situation here."
>
> How do you switch it off?

There should be a radio button on your keyboard linked to a Fn key to
disable WiFi. Otherwise you could try unloading the kernel modules
loaded by the WiFi interface or even unbinding them. But I don't think
this is your issue either. Could you pastebin the output of some commands?

cat /proc/interrupts
sudo lspci -v
sudo lsusb -v
cat /etc/default/rtirq