Re: [LAU] Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

From: Federico Galland <federicogalland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 14 2014 - 02:17:16 EEST

On Tue, 13 May 2014 13:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2014, Peter Lutek wrote:
>
> > ok... looks like my non-rt kernel gives me a larger list of available
> > governors (and, curiously, a lower maximum available CPU speed) than my rt
> > kernel, which has only the powersave and performance governors as well as a
> > higher max CPU speed. perhaps "performance" on the RT kernel will be best....
>
> Hmm, do you have "boost" enabled in your bios? You may wish to turn it off
> as non-os control will change speeds on you if temperature gets too high.
> That may be why the top speed shows different. Boost is new on the intel
> chips, so if your system is even a year old, probably no boost.
>
> I have not installed an RT kernel since 2.4 or 2.6 as the lowlatency
> kernel has allowed me good stable performance and still has all the
> drivers I have needed on any of my personal machines I have tested. The
> generic kernel is not good enough for me though.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

cpufreq-set takes the arguments --min FREQ and --max FREQ which allow you to set the minimum and maximum allowed frequencies for your current scaling governor, though I don't know if fixing the frequency to a given value within the ondemand or performance governors differ anyhow to the userspace setting.

Good luck!

--
Federico Galland <federicogalland@email-addr-hidden>