Re: [LAU] RT kern for Raspberry Pi?

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 07 2014 - 15:39:37 EEST

> On 05/17/2014 01:51 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:

>>> Hello Ken,
>>>
>>> I have built RT kernels for Raspbian. No debs though :( I could upload a
>>> tarball with the kernel and modules if you'd like. For what it's worth,
>>> I have better results with the standard PREEMPT Raspbian kernel so I
>>> actually never use RT kernels on the RPi besides doing some testing.
>>>

>> Thanks, yeah, it'd be cool to try them out.
>
> When I have something wrapped up I'll post a link.
>

>> You're running jackd and softsynths with PREEMPT? Really? I've never had that work right ever. Always needs RT to get the latency to a playable state with no Xruns, at least on Intel which is all I've tried so far.
>>

> The Raspberry Pi is a different beast and I just get better results with
> the default PREEMPT kernel and some tweaking
> (http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi). I didn't really do any
> serious testing though, it was just that the RT kernels generated more
> xruns so I quickly went back to the default kernel.
>
> Jeremy

Ken, I also use the Raspbian distro and kernel with a few tweaks to
the Raspberry config (Jeremy has great documentation on this) and
that's it.

It serves me well i.e. as a guitarr FX + looper station, controlled
via MIDI footpedalboard and this mobile panel/control GUI interface
that I'm developing so I don't need any screen attached to the RPi
with. I also use an external USB sound card.

So you can start right away and then tweak as you go.

--
C. sanchiavedraZ:
* NEW / NUEVO:     www.sanchiavedraZ.com