Re: [LAU] Streaming radio and calls from listeners

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 22 2014 - 13:21:06 EEST

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 02:01:19PM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:

> For more than a year I am producing a skeptic-oriented podcast. So far it's
> been an offline venture. We have a nice audio mixer from Yamaha that we are
> recording as one track into Qtractor.
>
> However, I am thinking towards live streaming and accepting calls from
> listeners. Is this realistic with Linux? If yes - can anyone suggest how?

If you use the POTS you need an interface that provides transformer
isolation, the correct impedance on the telephone line, and that
removes as much as possible of the outgoing signal from the incoming
one. Could be expensive. It is possible to hack together such a thing
using relatively simple electronics (done it), but using such a device
woul break the terms of use of your telco - they usually want a certified
unit (for good reasons).

If you use a cellular phone you need something like this:
<http://www.jkaudio.com/daptor2.htm> to connect the phone
to a sound card.

In both cases on the mixer you need to create an 'N-1' bus,
which has all the inputs from your main mix except the
signal from the phone. This is what you send back to the
phone. You also need some way to talk to the caller before
he/she goes on air, zita-mu1 could come in handy for this.

Ciao,

--
FA