Re: [LAU] Live bass guitar -> analog synth on a 2007 laptop: viable?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 23 2014 - 14:34:47 EEST

On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 15:09 +0300, Artem Vakhitov wrote:
> Will try Rakarrack. BTW, I don't need MIDI as such, I just need a way to
> control an analog synth using the audio signal from bass guitar.

I guess you wanted to point out that you will use a simulation of an
analog synth ;). There are some virtual Linux synth that fit to my
needs :), while I prefer to use MIDI to use real analog synth ;).

Calf Monosynth, Phasex and last but not least Yoshimi (not really an
anlog synth emulation ;) are some of the good once. Regarding to sound
samplers that are able to play good, free available sounds we are
screwed. Oops, I nearly forgot that some man really tries to emulate
analog chips, http://bristol.sourceforge.net/ , I prefer my MIDI
interface to use real synth, but it's worth to test his emulations, if
you aren't addicted (as I'm) to CEM/Curtis microchips or the original
C64 SID.

[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ pacman -Qi linuxsampler | grep Licenses
Licenses : GPL custom:exception

For other distros than Arch Linux, there are usually are third party
repositories providing linuxsampler + GUI's.