Re: [LAU] howto get pcmcia firewire card working

From: Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 24 2014 - 13:30:46 EEST

On 06/24/2014 11:03 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Atte wrote:
>> I got a new laptop without firewire. So I bought a delock pcmcia
>> firewire card
>>
>> The laptop is a Lenovo x220.
>
> I'd guess the card is not PCMCIA but ExpressCard.

Might be, never used either before, actually I thought they were two
names for the same thing...

>> NB2: I couldn't see anything in dmesg after inserting the card and lspci
>> is the same with the card attached and detached...
>
> There's your problem.
>
> Try loading the acpiphp module.

Hmmm

atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ lsmod | grep acpip
atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ sudo modprobe acpiphp
[sudo] password for atte:
atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ lsmod | grep acpip
atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ sudo modprobe acpiphp_ibm
ERROR: could not insert 'acpiphp_ibm': No such device
atte@email-addr-hidden:~$

Strange thing (but what do I know), "sudo modprobe acpiphp<tab>"
completes to "sudo modprobe acpiphp_ibm", suggesting that there's no
acpiphp available on the system, still I get no error when loading it
*and* it's not showing in lsmod after attempted load.

Here's what dmesg have to say:

atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ dmesg | tail -n 2
[ 45.626648] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Tx aggregation enabled on ra =
a0:21:b7:d7:fa:15 tid = 0
[ 90.387533] acpiphp_ibm: ibm_acpiphp_init: acpi_walk_namespace failed

Reading http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ExpressCard_slot + your reply,
makes me thing I made the mistake of buying a pcmcia, whereas I in fact
should have bought an expresscard/54.

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk