Re: [LAU] Live mixers/recording

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 30 2014 - 07:26:05 EEST

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> I guess in many ways that is what we are doing with a daw...
> time for the open console design? Actually we have much of it
> already, it is just the hardware parts we don't seem to have.
> I/O ports and control surfaces is all thats missing.
>

> why not just use midibox or similar open source MIDI hardware to build a
> suitable controller? audio interfaces are well taken care of already ...

Cost mostly. I guess one has to decide what open source is worth. digital
mixer is 3k msr but 2k street it seems. 17 motor faders, 16inputs with mic
pres, 16 outputs, remote controlable from ipad, or laptop. Built in port for
digital snake. At least one touch screen. No fans for cooling. On board
recording.

So assuming I am buying the computer as well as the interfaces... It seems
I would spend 1k2 just on the computer with fanless cooling and 1k on the
16 i/o interface. So the controler would be all extra cost. There are some
interesting projects out there in the diy world but I still can't see
getting much under $200 if not more... depending on scrounging. If I stick
to having a fader control for every channel, I don't need motorizing.

For my home studio (workstation is more accurate) a diy set of controls is
actually a great idea. I already have everything else. 6/4 i/o is more
than I need. The most inputs I have used at once is 2, but normally 1.

For a live setup from scratch where I am not the primary operator, I will
probably end up with an analog setup. Unless I can talk my local supplier
into a good discount :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net