Re: [LAU] DIY digital control surfaces

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 21:27:39 EEST

On 1 July 2014 at 9:21, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I seem to have gotten an itch to make some control surfaces for
> my home recording system.

[snip]

> Anyway, is there an easy way to grab a keyboard device before
> the system does? This looks to be /dev/input/event7. There is
> a utility called actkbd that reads this. And I guess it can
> run a script for any one key or just output to stdout the key
> press. Anyone have a better idea?

My surface requirements might differ from yours. When I want a
surface it's usually because click-hold-drag on a mouse for hours
at a time is hard on my hand. But, I also want a surface because
I want to run more than one slider at a time. When running live
sound I usually have >4 sliders under my fingers at all times.
That use pattern follows me to a control surface at times.

Will an Android device allow multiple slider control? I haven't
seen that gesture supported.

That said, TouchDAW sounds like it could be convenient for
transport control when recording myself from across the room.

All the best...

--
Kevin