Re: [LAU] DIY digital control surfaces

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 22:20:00 EEST

On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 11:27:39 -0700
Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> My surface requirements might differ from yours. When I want a
> surface it's usually because click-hold-drag on a mouse for hours
> at a time is hard on my hand. But, I also want a surface because
> I want to run more than one slider at a time. When running live
> sound I usually have >4 sliders under my fingers at all times.
> That use pattern follows me to a control surface at times.

I'm an old analog recording/live sound guy and have the same feeling
about the faders. The Behringer BCF2000 control surface has worked really
well for me when I get to the mixing phase of my projects (and I also used
it to simulate a radio station console for a web station I help with).
The first time I saw its flying faders responding to the automation in
my project I reached nerdvana.

It was $199 US when I got mine a few years ago, it looks like retail's now
$299. Less of a value, but I'd be hard-pressed to build anything close to
it myself for less.