Re: [LAU] Writing jingles

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2014 - 09:02:01 EEST

The site that made the claim about superior linux tools is just a random
linux praising blog and it shows off Cinelerra, Kdenlive and OpenShot.
Yeah, it is not very credible.

I did talk to Lightworks users and basically their reply to me is twofold:

1. Lightworks is for professional film and they use hardware that does the
sync, like timecode jamming.
2. You don't need that amount of accuracy.

While I personally cannot agree with the latter statement, I do see the
point made in the first. Indeed, as someone else pointed out, computers
were seen as help, not as standalone tools.

I did not review Cinilerra, btw. It's been a while since I used it. I think
it is pretty difficult to use, I remember doing something with it, but
quickly stopping. I will look at it again.

Additionally, just so that I am not unfair to OpenShot developers (and
maybe even Kdenlive), it uses melt, which is a video editor, afaiu, command
line. And it is this melt that is buggy and crashes all the time. OpenShot
and the like are just GUIs to this. Well, more than just GUIs, but melt is
at the heart of it.

Apparently, OpenShot 2.0 is coming up which will use a different library
and it should be seemingly more stable. I just hope it will work out. I
mean, I have seen stable video editors on Earth, it should be achievable.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/