Re: [LAU] another control surface question

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2014 - 22:29:11 EEST

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 04:21:38PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> Actually I was going to suggest the idea of a 'general purpose'
> belt encoder generating MSB & LSB. Even though most kit can't handle both, it
> gives you much finer resolution for anything that does.
>
> As you say, have the belt toothed side up for grabability (tm) and simple
> smooth pulleys top and bottom, but use a toothed pulley for the encoder, mounted
> inside the casing *below* the belt. Mount it on a slotted bracket so you can
> adjust tension.
>
> I don't think you'd need anything either side of the belt. The pulleys will
> keep it in line, and it would actually be easier to feel for the belt without
> having to look at it.

Unless the belt is tensioned quite a bit you'd need something
to support it - without causing too much friction.

It all seems a nice idea, but OTOH you can get a Yamaha motorised
fader for 20 Euro, see
<http://www.thomann.de/it/yamaha_ls_901vmotorised_fader.htm>.

I wonder if you can get and assemble all the required parts for
a usable 'belt fader' for that price.

I once (and only once) had the occasion to use a mixer with
quadrant faders - they feel really perfect, I'd prefer them
over linear ones any time.

Ciao,

--
FA