Re: [LAU] DIY digital control surfaces

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 04 2014 - 11:06:52 EEST

On 02/07/14 05:23, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
>
>> My surface requirements might differ from yours. When I want a
>> surface it's usually because click-hold-drag on a mouse for hours
>> at a time is hard on my hand. But, I also want a surface because
>> I want to run more than one slider at a time. When running live
>> sound I usually have >4 sliders under my fingers at all times.
>> That use pattern follows me to a control surface at times.
>>
>> Will an Android device allow multiple slider control? I haven't
>> seen that gesture supported.
>
> I think two or three is it (two for sure). It gets hard to tell which signal is
> which after that. Ya that is a limitation for sure.

My 10-inch Samsung screen shows 10 touch points etc under 10 fingers, with 10
sets of co-ordinates, they are maintained in order of first contact and seem
very much consistent enough and with high enough resolution to move multiple
faders though 10 is probably more than you could make use of in practice. I have
a small screen with only two touch points on an Udoo which can run android
without the painful SELinux lockdown that Samsung uses (preventing access to raw
devices and just about everything), but it just arrived so will experiment soon.
The co-ords are very accessible to a program completely independently of any
other input. In the Samsung touch is quite independent of the stylus-pen and any
mouse plugged in ... they must all be independent since various drawing programs
do react differently to pen, touch and mouse. The 10 points seem to be reported
cleanly and consistently on the dbug screen, with an API that supplies the data,
but I haven't tried using it.

Simon