Re: [LAU] Video card joy

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2014 - 18:35:31 EEST

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 18:52:04 -0500
Neil <djdualcore@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Because who else would even care besides you lot?
> >

> You are right about me caring, at least. I have had so much trouble with
> video cards over the years I'm very glad to hear when one works, more so
> when the Free drivers work.
>

> > I'd pre-installed the nouveau packages from Arch, and once the
> > new card was in place, two simple config file changes and a mkinitcpio
> > later I was rocking it.
> >

> Which file did you need to edit?

One was /etc/mkinitcpio.conf - I added nouveau to the MODULES line so that
the module got loaded early. It made things a lot easier.

I also added /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf so that Xorg would
pick up the card.

This page ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/nouveau ) made it really
easy to move from my old ATI card to the nVIDIA one.

Once I had a vaguely functional X display happening, I used arandr to set
and save the screen resolutions and positions.

Because the GT 640 has 4 ports on the back (2 DVI, 1 VGA and 1 HDMI), and I
happened to have 4 monitors here, I went nuts and set them all up. It was
a little piece of Nerdvana for me when it worked, but I realized that since
I don't do SysAdmin any more, I don't need the status screens so 4 screens
was pure overkill for me. It was cool that it worked though!