Re: [LAU] Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2014 - 20:06:20 EEST

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> The sound of the SID is fuller than digital emulations of analog synth
> are, but a very, very serious drawback of the SID integrated to the
> C64 is secondary noise, so the less full sound by emulations of analog
> synth IMO is more usable than the SID integrated to the C64, that
> nearly is unusable regarding to it's secondary noise. You can't
> completely filter out the secondary noise and as soon as it's halfway
> filtered out, so that you might be able to use the sound for
> production, the sound quality has lost the fuller sound and will be
> less full than an analog synth emulation.

Oh yeah, definitely. It has terrible background noise, some of which is
because its envelopes never completely shut off the sound of the synth.
(You can very softly hear the patch its registers are set for even when
a note isn't playing.) There are also other background noises not
related to that which are even louder.

I put a MXR noise gate guitar pedal on the output of my SidStation when
I had one, and it worked really well, at least for creating silence in
between notes. Of course there's no solving the problem during note
sustain. It's just noisy.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky