Re: [LAU] Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2014 - 22:37:00 EEST

Progress!

I compiled JACK2 (64-bit, and also a 32-bit version because Dssi-VST
Git needs it) and Dssi-VST Git. I put "$HOME/vst" in my "$VST_PATH"
and made a symlink to "Kontakt 5.dll" as "$HOME/vst/kontakt5.dll"
because Jack-dssi-host doesn't seem to like spaces in plugin filenames
(quoting or escaping didn't work). I started JACK, then loaded the VST
through Jack-dssi-host.

    $ jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:kontakt5.dll&

Kontakt's VST loaded fine. A lot of JACK ports appeared (64 ports!
O_O), automatically connected to "system:playback_*". I connected the
Kontakt's JACK MIDI port to my keyboard's, and chose a freeware
instrument (just for testing) from Kontakt's "Files" tab. It loaded as
it should, and playing my keyboard produced the sounds just fine! Yes!
I could even record the output by using Ecasound!

... However, I didn't have the same luck with the Friedlander
Violin... Choosing an instrument from the "Files" tab doesn't work
because it's encrypted and needs to be activated. It's a "Powered by
Kontakt Player" instrument, and the option to activate it doesn't
appear unless it's loaded through the "Add Library" button first. The
problem is that when I try to "Add Library", Kontakt prompts me to
choose the location where the library is installed, and when I select
the directory, it gives me a "No library found" error. I'm sure I'm
pointing to the right place (the directory containing the
"Instruments" and "Samples" sub directories, the ".nkr" and the
".nicnt" files). Just to make sure, I followed exactly the same steps
on Windows and the library loaded with no problems (but I didn't
activate it because I want to do it on Linux!), though it was the
standalone version instead of the VST. I hope this doesn't mean that
adding libraries only work on the standalone interface, because on
Wine I still can't get past the initial audio setup screen... Any
ideas? I feel so close...