Re: [LAU] Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2014 - 16:30:17 EEST

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Aiyumi Moriya wrote:

>> I think you can as a backup run pulse audio. I had issues using alsa
>> directly
>
> I heard so many bad things about Pulse (also concerning screen reader
> software which I depend on) that I'd rather not use it.

Most of what I have heard about Pulse being bad is old (and personal). It
is more usable with jack than many other ways of doing things. On a modern
machine (multi core, reasonable Ram size) using jackdbus as the
source/sink it works quite well. Even at 2.7ms ( -p 64) latency for jack.
I use it for running skype into idjc for example. Some of the default
settings are youtube skewed (sample rate 44.1k for example) but they can
be changed. Anyway, Pulse is in active development, many problems I had
even two years ago are gone.

However, In your case of using it as a method of connecting a sound
generator to Jack. I think it would be a case of try before you buy. If
you do not have pulse installed now, I do not think I would install it
just to try. You have latency critical use and have had problems with it
and your screen reader. I would try it on a live media first that has most
of what you want installed.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net