Re: [LAU] OT Microphone recommendation

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2014 - 23:25:12 EEST

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:41:23 -0700 Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Well, I ordered my microphone preamp, now I need a microphone.
> Based on the archives of this list and my budget, I identified
> three. What I mostly will be doing is:
>
> (1) Recording voice, either speaking or singing
> (2) Recording acoustic instruments (classical guitar, clarinet)
> (3) Recording chamber music.
>

> So the three microphones are:
>
> (a) Shure SM57 (Is there a difference between the SM57 and SM57-LC?)
>
> (b) Shure SM58 (Though which one: the SM58-LC, SM58-CN or SM58S ?)
>
> (c) CAD gxl 2200 large diaphragm condenser $60
>
> Just from my naive understanding, the SM57 seems like it might be the
> best "general purpose" microphone for my needs.
>
> Do people have advice or other recommendations? Thanks.
> Eventually I will buy a second microphone for stereo recording.

Skip the dynamic mics for now and buy a matched stereo pair of
condensors. I have a pair of small studio projects condensors and while
I can't read the labels on them anymore, they still sound like on the
first day. And this pair came with a stero mount;-)

If you insist on going dynamic (only when you record directly on the
mic, not for chamber and/o ambiance), decide between the SM57 and SM58
if you will. The SM57 seems better suited for instruments, the SM58 is
the de-facto (backup) standard on many stages for good reasons.
If you can't decide between the two, get a Beta58 or maybe an AKG in
the same price-range. Worth it, the beta58 sounds better then the
sm58...

But for what you want, a stereo-pair of small condensors, maybe
additionally a large condensor for voice.
Or stereo pair of large condensors from AKG or comparable...

- Arnold