Re: [LAU] Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 17 2014 - 04:19:17 EEST

Back on topic.

out of curiosity, I was looking into the main "big" string libraries
from the proprietary world. VSL needs an USB dongle for activation, so
I take that it doesn't work under Wine.

I read that some Linuxsampler users like the strings by Sonic
Implants, in .gig format. Is it still possible to get these .gig
instruments? I couldn't find any information on them.

Also...

> I have the great Garritan Personal Orchestra (
> http://www.garritan.com/products/personal-orchestra-4/) and have used it
> successfully (on 64-bit Arch) - I haven't touched it for 1.5 years, and it
> doesn't load at the moment, but I'm also on a terribly out-of-date Arch
> version at the moment. It definitely worked beautifully back then.
> It's not native to Linux, but with the help of SAVIHost (
> http://www.hermannseib.com/savihost.htm) through Wine it will load
> perfectly. Presets can be saved. I think it only allows a minimum of 256
> frames per period, though.

I read that to activate the Garritan instruments, an activation card
image file must be dragged into the player program. (How) does that
work under Wine?