Re: [LAU] A short story: from zero to recording the drums in a budget

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2014 - 00:14:19 EEST

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 09:52:18PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Sounds very good to me. I've heard pro studios do worse with much more
> expensive equipment. I prefer the dry raw sound [2] here for the demo.

Same here. I've heard *much* worse.

> > If I would improve the quality of my recordings, where should I spend
> > more money?
>
> I don't think you have to. Tweaking mic positions and adjusting the mix
> will have greater impact in this stage.

Agree. Experiment with mic positions. And the final result you can
evaluate only in the context of a complete mix.

> If you really really want to waste some cash: one can never have good
> enough Mics and analog preamps :) but you'll have to go up an order of
> magnitude on the price-list for it to make a significant difference - if
> any.

Very true. If a mic is OK, which means it doesn't distort and it has a
clean polar pattern and frequency response, you can make it sound like
any similar good one with a bit of EQ. Finding that bit of EQ may not
be obvious. But that doesn't change the simple fact that there's a lot
of myths about expensive mics and their subjective qualities, and that
most of it is nonsense.

> You're fine on the digital side. the Echo Layla has only 20 bits but
> that's plenty here. Don't worry about this.

Certainly not if you can get one for $50 !

> The weakest part of your setup are probably the KRK Rokit 5 monitors.

Yep.

--
FA
A world of ext haustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.