Re: [LAU] A short story: from zero to recording the drums in a budget

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2014 - 23:26:06 EEST

> > I've got a similar setup: 512M, Arch + windowmaker,
> > but can't get A3 to run on it in any usable way - it
> > just eats too much memory. Any tricks ??
> >

> Not really, sorry.
>
> And honestly, the only thing I am able to do with so little ram
> is to record.
> No way I can do editing, and plugins neither.

Just a bit more memory (1Gig) and I had no problems at all. I did record
with no effects so I could have low latency for tracking, but my mixdown
with -p512 included all the effects I wanted such as eq, reverb,
amp/cabinet emulation for guitar tracks, etc. I did have to set swappiness
to 10 to make full use of that memory. I agree 512M is a bit small for GUI
based recording with effects. On the up side, it will give you reason to
learn about HW tweaks, and making do with less. When I bought my P4, it
was at the top end of things (for a home system).... not any more :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net