Re: [LAU] Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2014 - 08:09:53 EEST

On 07/23/2014 06:14 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 07:52:52AM +0200, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:
>
>> So, my question is: How on earth do I do this?! Are there FLOSS tools
>> available for this? Is it easy to do something as basic as this?
>
> It's not basic and not easy.
> If you want to correct your system after the room is finished, the
> DRC software <http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/> is the way to go.
> Make sure to read the excellent documentation, all of it, so you
> have and idea of what you're doing. It will explain some of the
> hairy things I hinted at earlier. DRC will produce IR filters
> which you can use with jconvolver (or with any other convolution
> processor). The result will be much better than when using e.g.
> a graphic EQ, because DRC does things that a simple equaliser
> can't do.

A good reference here:
http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2008/download/papers/18.pdf

----
AMBI@email-addr-hidden ­ The search for extra­frontal intelligence
Linux Audio Conference 2008, Cologne
Jörn NETTINGSMEIER
----
Although the paper talks about an Ambisonics rig at home, it also dwells
on room correction and DRC (which is good for Ambisonics and everything
else).
I'm doing the same in my home studio and DRC does help (but of course it
is not magic)...
Good luck!
-- Fernando