Re: [LAU] jack performance in ubuntustudio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 25 2014 - 16:27:54 EEST

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, James Stone wrote:

> Ah - just tried uninstalling jack and reinstalling, and jackd2 now
> seems to work pretty much as expected. Seems I had a few kxstudio
> jackd libs knocking around that seemed to be interacting badly with
> the default ubuntu stuff..

Running ubuntustudio 14.04 here. jackdbus is set 2/32 and I turned
pulse->jack bridging on. qjackctl shows DSP at 6-12%, Gnome system monitor
shows all cores at around 4%, Top shows pulse at 11%, the sound card at
6%, jack at 3.5%, a2jmidid at 2%.... turning pulse off has top showing the
sound card at 8%, jack at 6% and a2j at 2%, but jack DSP is 3.5%. All of
which brings into question the tools we use for measuring this stuff and
what those numbers really mean.

Setting my system to desktop mode (2048 frames, pulse on) gives jack dsp
of .88% (or less) and makes them harder to follow in top because they are
now at least fifth down and all less than 1%.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net