Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 26 2014 - 13:07:20 EEST

On Sat, 2014-07-26 at 07:09 +0000, Kaza Kore wrote:
> Surprised nobody has mentioned the MIDIbox SID project with all this
> talk of SID chips. I know Arduino is more in vogue these days but is
> there any specific reason people don't like this project? I assume
> most of you must know about it... I believe MIDIbox/UCapps was the
> first open source DIY MIDI controller project I knew about personally
> anyway :)
>
> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

Much effort/money to get too much secondary noise. Instead of using a
C64 and DIY, I would take a look at Ebay and e.g. get

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Roland%2BMT-32

The MT-32 provides the sounds that are provided by many free sound
fonts, I guess most fonts sampled the MT-32 sounds. Less people are
aware that the MT-32 pseudo analog section can be programmed and that it
does produce some very good virtual analog sounds.

I own one, but don't use it anymore. But I used it a lot with the C64
and Atari ST. IIRC there also is a Linux software available to edit it,
but I might be mistaken.