Re: [LAU] JACK on Pi... almost working

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 26 2014 - 20:55:29 EEST

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:51:24AM -0700, Sam Mulvey wrote:
> On 07/26/14 10:42, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > 2) The sound coming out of either the built-in audio or an external C-Media USB interface
> > is cracking and nasty, with obvious aliasing distortion. Any ideas why? I've tried
> > 44.1k and 48k. No xruns tho, which is nice, at 44100/512/3 using jackd1 and fluidsynth.
>
> With that chip, I've usually had to set the rpi to USB 1.1 speeds to get
> anything worthwhile out of it. That also limits the network if that's
> an issue for you.
>
> http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1886/what-kernel-parameters-are-available-for-fixing-usb-problems

Ah yes, I forgot to mention a bunch of stuff.

- I'm already using the force-USB-1.1 hack in cmdline.txt
- I've followed the guidelines at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/raspberrypi
- I'm using the autostatic repo for jackd and such.
- The base distro is the most recent (January 2014, IIRC) Raspbian Wheezy distro

Maybe this chip just sucks, but I'm certain that I've gotten good sound out of this exactly USB adapter before on x86 systems.

-ken