Re: [LAU] Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

From: Joakim Hernberg <jbh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 27 2014 - 13:04:59 EEST

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:33:07 +0200
Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Just a big thank you for the comprehensive explanation! I'll add this
> to the System Configuration wiki page on linuxaudio.org if you don't
> mind.

Not at all, go ahead. There are a few things I wish I would have
written differently, but it was a ml post and not an essay :)

The rt testing package is indeed called rt-tests and not rt-tools.

The reason I see max scheduling latencies of about 100us on the -rt
kernel with cyclictest is most likely due to using the -i100 parameter.
Setting it lower would likely result in lower max values, but at the
cost of increasing cpu use.

In fact I think the max scheduling latencies on my system is more
likely around 40us or so, but what really interests me is to know
that I don't have max values into the millisecond range.

--
   Joakim