Re: [LAU] live video switching? WAS: Re: VJ / VeeJing software alternatives

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 28 2014 - 08:55:49 EEST

On Sun, July 27, 2014 9:55 am, Kaza Kore wrote:

> I assume you mean analogue video (often a yellow phono) rather than
> digital, SDI out of your camera? (Min = Googling...)

Ya, that would not work with these cards.

> HDMI mini
> output (HDMI-CEC compatible) You can be pretty certain the HDMI contains
> audio though so will want an HDMI card. I've only had experience of PCI)e)
> personally but as you say they claim Linux support for the range.

The $145 version would work for HDMI in. I am not sure how far I want to
go with this though... ie, how much I want to spend.

> Actually for a tight budget I guess research into how good support with
> the Hauppauge capture cards with Linux is. I know they seem to be the
> choice for Linux media boxes, at least when I looked into it a few years
> back.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_impactvcb.html

These look pretty good and are one of the tuner cards with the tuner not
installed. There is a PCIe with one video in and a PCI with three. It does
seem to be supported in the manner that would allow DVswitch to work
anyway. For what I want, a few webcams (nicer than the last $3 one I got)
for wide shots would probably fill out my needs.

If I was going to do serious work, I might go for the blackmagic card just
for the internal effects. For $295 it might be worth it to get the
switcher/keyer even if I never used the external connections. Then again,
with a whole switcher at $1k with 8 inputs and use the computer as a
control surface, one starts to wonder why try to do the job with a
computer anyway.

The BBC SW probably goes beyond what I want/need anyway. Though it was an
interesting read.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net