Re: [LAU] S/PDIF - Was: Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2014 - 06:37:22 EEST

"David Jones" <gnome@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Hmmm, just on off-chance ... you do have Audacity set
> to use JACK?  Sorry, maybe not being very helpful here.

Oh, but you were. Audacity has a "audio host" dropdown
box that was set to ALSA. Once Jack is started, Jack is
available in this box, and I have selected it.

> > Also, does "system" refer to my M-Audio card or
> > the integrated audio on the motherboard?

> I believe that JACK's "system" refers to the audio card
> you've set JACK to use.

My {$HOME}/.jackdrc file reads:

   /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p16 -n2

aplay and arecord both list my M-Audio card as "card 0"

I can find no where in the qjackctl "Setup" menu
were this is set though.

> > If system does refer to my M-Audio card, I don't
> > see anything in the under Readable Clients/Output Ports
> > that distinguishes between the s/pdif input and the
> > ADC input.

> Didn't someone else in this thread already post about
> that? That SPDIF was 7 & 8?

That person said the it was 9 and 10.

> A lot of audio programs are smarter about working
> with JACK than Audacity.

Good to know.

> Sorry, I've run out of clues. On my simple setup here, I
> started JACK, started Audacity, set Audacity to use JACK
> (it defaults to ALSA on my laptop); hit pause, then
> record, then unpaused. A PortAudio connection
> appeared in JACK's writable ports window.

And now, as I have audacity paused in record mode, the
PortAudio connection now appears under the "Writable
Clients" part of the qjackctl "Connections" window. The
number _under_ the "PortAudio" entry varies though.
Sometimes it reads "in_4", sometimes "in_5", etc.

I actually see a signal in Audacity's VU meter now, however,
the volume of this signal is pretty constant and has nothing
to do with whether anyone is speaking in the microphone
or not.

And I have yet to record anything that is spoken into
the microphone.

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> alsamixer, envy24control or mudita24 is needed to rout the S/PDIF
> signal. I remember that once a blind user had issues to get
> it working for his Envy24 card, when using alsamixer, but
> using a GUI there shouldn't be an issue.
[...]

> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2012-December/088655.html
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2012-December/088656.html
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2012-December/088657.html
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2012-December/088658.html

and thank you for this information. I used envy24control to
set "Master clock" to s/pdif (rather than a sample rate.

The VU meters of Envy24control now _do_ show a signal that
corresponds to when someone is actually speaking in the microphone.

However, the VU meters in __mhWaveEdit__ do not show a signal (I have
been toggling back and fourth between Audacity and mhWaveEdit).

I think I am close.

Maybe there is something I still need to set with Envy24Control?

Thanks again for the help.