Re: [LAU] Kxstudio RT kernel vs low latency

From: Joakim Hernberg <jbh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2014 - 14:44:01 EEST

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:29:54 -0700
Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I have many hiding spots to probe as it were. I do want to ask about
> older bios laptops tho. Running intel dual core 1.6ghz... So the
> application of these (ACPI? APM?) are handed off to OS software
> layer? Kernel module or whatever? If so (pls correct where I'm off)
> how to use equivalent control of settings from CL or tools? Given the
> sig change of stable state that Jame's refers to, it would be helpful
> to document this stuff somewhere under the "realtime Linux audio
> tweaks". The 32/2 with stability over USB2 would be a big deal in my
> case. I've not been able to come within screaming distance of that
> result.

It might not be possible :) Not that I know for sure, but I'd imagine
that the best you can do on older cpus is to use the performance
governor. But do try the /dev/cpu_dma_latency trick, by running "sudo
cyclictest", maybe it's beneficial on your hardware too.

> I just dug the VAIO out of the gig rig so I can look at the FW TI
> chip and it's operating limitations.

You probably ought to give the interrupt handler servicing the FW
interface the highest priority, and then follow the same instructions I
gave in a previous post for setting up realtime priorities.

--
   Joakim