Re: [LAU] [Bulk] jack: interface selection has no effect

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2014 - 03:04:30 EEST

On August 9, 2014 03:11:09 AM Max wrote:
> selecting a different interface in qjackctl has no effect. i can't
> use the external soundcard, because jack stays always with the
> internal one.
> any ideas what causes this symptom?
>
> i am running pulse on top of jack like this:
> http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/PulseOnJack

I have found that when you set it up that way, you'll find that
 nothing you change in QJackCtl has any effect.

You must manually edit the file /home/.jackdrc
 and then restart pulse (or reboot).

But I've never quite understood how to properly restart pulse,
 it always seems to lead to a messy situation needing a reboot.

You'll see that changes in QJackCtl do not appear in .jackdrc -
 pulse seems to override it.

I don't quite understood why this is so.
Seems pulse uses internal jack server or something?
Even if you attempt to 'stop' jack from QJackCtl, it doesn't -
 pulse just keeps on running its jack server.
Simply restart QJackCtl and you'll see Jack is actually still running
 and has not stopped at all.

Can someone explain why, and how to properly restart pulse after
 editing the .jackdrc file, or if there's an easier way to allow
 QJackCtl to truly alter the settings?

Thanks!
Tim.