[LAU] Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Pulse removal question

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 12 2014 - 08:22:55 EEST

All.

I have recently installed a fresh Ubuntu Studio 14.04, replacing my old 12.04 version I was running previously. In short; I believe I now have everything running directly through Jack, which is autostarted with a "pulseaudio -k" command and wonder whether it is worthwhile actually fully removing PA? And if so the best way to do this/exact packages to remove?

For those that are interested the steps I took were:
Compile and install libflashsupport-jack library following the instructions at http://jackaudio.org/faq/routing_flash.html (there was one more lib not listed I also had to install for <video.h>)
Install jack plugin for vlc, gstreamer and any media players I use.
Test audio is really going through Jack and not via the pulse-sync outputs. Test audio still present after running "pulseaudio -k".*
Remove autostart options: PulseAudio Sound System & XFCE Volume Deamon. **
Add "pulseaudio -k" to the startup command in Jack. And qjackctl as an autostart program.
Remap mediakeys to control level of amixer's Master. (eg (may be different on your setup) volume up 2dB: "amixer -c 0 sset 'Master',0 2dB+")

*Seems to be working nicely and when running "pulseaudio -k" the first time I instantly noticed the percentage time used by Jack approximately dropped by a half! (4% -2 % with just Audacious playing.) Seems to let me go maybe one setting lower. Not really tested yet though...

So thoughts on fully removing PA please :)

**These steps didn't seem to make as much difference as I thought they should do! Even though I thought I had stopped PA from running the pulse/jack sync still showed up in jack's connections and running "pulseaudio -k" still killed it, giving me the extra overhead in jack. This is why I added the command to the jack startup option. Surely these options should have stopped it from running in the first place, no??

Dale.