Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Linux mixer

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2014 - 19:35:25 EEST

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 12:03 -0400, Peter Lutek wrote:
> On 2014-08-14 11:55, Len Ovens wrote:
> > Non-mixer seems to have all that.
>
> unfortunately, Non-mixer only hosts LADSPA, not LV2, i believe... but i
> guess you could do an insert to jalv2 for that, right?

All I need regarding to effect plugins is LADAPA.

[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ pacman -Ql fil-plugins
[snip]
fil-plugins /usr/lib/ladspa/filters.so

I'm an old school engineer.

I need an EQ for each channel, I usually don't use compressors etc. for
individual tracks, I make a transparent mix giving the audio signal it's
own place in the "frequency room" instead of killing the dynamic.

Sometimes a flanger, phaser or what ever else effect is nice, but analog
mixers also don't provide those special effects and I also don't need
them for the workflow using a virtual mixer. If such an effect is
needed, then it's less work to use an external virtual host (I anyway
prefer hardware effects), but very important for the workflow is a good
EQ and a few post fader aux sends, especially for reverb. Btw.
automation also isn't needed, even in studios flying faders usually are
used to restore a session, seldom for wild automated mixing during a
production.

Btw. for the stereo sum I like to use multi band compression.

IMO it's a pity that so few Linux mixers provide "normal" workflow and
it's funny that users tend to use that much fader automation, while they
at the same time add tons of limiters and compressors.

Resume: Linux mixing techniques seems to be for another generation of
engineers, but less good for dinos. It's not my way to mix music.