Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

From: Alan McKay <alan.mckay@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2014 - 13:54:45 EEST

OK here is more detail on what I do.

All I am doing is ripping some old LPs. Very simple stuff. Then
splitting it up into MP3s

Whenever I am ripping if I am using a web browser at the same time,
what happens is audacity stops recording as though someone had hit the
"stop" button. It does not hand or anything, and I can hit "record"
again and it goes (but it still screws up my rip of course)

Then when I am done of that an processing, a really simple one. I
zoom into the area between songs then I want to play that short clip
to see exactly where one song ends and the other begins, and maybe
figure out whether there is a few seconds of silence I can cut out.
So I hit "play" and then when I hit "stop" at the other end, it hangs
solid and eventually gives me the option to kill or wait. I kill it.
That one can sometimes happen the very first thing into audacity
before I've done any other editing.

As for settings - I think all defaults but I'll go through that later.

I am using regular Ubuntu not studio.

No massive files - just the length of an LP. Usually 45 minutes but
it can happen at the 2 minute mark.