Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2014 - 17:45:21 EEST

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 02:21:56PM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>
>> You can also try jack. Audacity uses jack in a very weird way, as soon
>> as you roll audacity autoconnects to the first outputs it finds and
>> disconnects once you stop rolling,
>
> That's only one of the many apps that claim to support Jack but
> get it completely wrong. In many cases, but not always, portaudio
> is to blame.

Personally I think the way Audacity handles audio on linux is very bad
- doesn't manage to do Alsa, Jack or Pulseaudio right as far as I can
see (if I don't run jack it endlessly changes the sample rate on my
card - making lots of clicks and pops as it takes over 1 minute to
start up!). I tried discussing problems on their forums but to no
avail.

It's a shame there isnt a good alternative sample editing program (to
my knowledge).

James