Re: [LAU] Ubuntu Studio (was: Audacity unstable)

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2014 - 18:17:40 EEST

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014, Alan McKay wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm thinking I might just install Ubuntu Studio tonight and
> run with that.
>
> The website does not seem to tell me the essential differences from Ubuntu.

It is ubuntu. The only thing that is unique is the kernel is lowlatency
(not RT) and jack is already set up to access the RT parts of the system.

> Which desktop is used?

XFCE. ubuntustudio uses the desktop from xubuntu with relatively few
changes. The menu is customized to organize the audio apps so that when
you open it there is not a list of apps as long as your arm.

The ubuntstudio metas will work on any ubuntu flavour (though as you have
found unity causes problems with the apps themselves... though not
always). My wife's computer has the studio kernel and audio apps and runs
jackdbus as it's audio backend over kubuntu. Jack does have to have one
file renamed and the user added to the audio group so it has RT access.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net