Re: [LAU] Noo 'pooter :)

From: <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 27 2014 - 01:37:17 EEST

---- David Adler <david.jo.adler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:24:39PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>
> > As this will be a clean install, I'm wondering what people might suggest as
> > for best distro to make full use of it - all my other machines have had a
> > progression of debian upgrades so are probably full of crud.
>
> Use Arch. It might sound counter-intuitive but despite (or because
> of(?)) the rolling release model it requires very little maintenance.
>
> The regular glimpse on the homepage's news feed is recommended but
> it's been a long time since anything popped up there that actually
> required manual intervention. If this happens, the instructions have
> proven to be adequate. Other than that, occasionally configuration files
> suffixed *.pacnew/*.pacsave need to be merged and voilà, you have a
> crud-free up-to-date system that won't send you to dependency hell when
> attempting to install recent software.
>
> The above might sound a bit like over-optimistic marketing speak but it
> reflects my experience and from what I've heard it's not just me.
>
> That said, Debian testing didn't exactly give me headaches -- it'd be my
> second choice for audio -- but my experiences with Arch (quite a few
> years now, no re-installation) are plainly positive.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_system_maintenance

I've been running my systems on Aptosid (Debian Sid) that does a pretty good job (generally) of smoothing out the quirks of Sid.

My only problem with Debian releases is that sometimes they're way behind on application versions.

Right now, Sid is kind of in between when it comes to switching from init to systemd. That might or might not cause problems.

David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com