Re: [LAU] [Bulk] Re: Lightweight WM that can be used without any issue with audio applications

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 27 2014 - 14:18:10 EEST

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:52:40 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I don't know why the QjackCtl Window sometimes is above the other
> windows when using JWM. JWM provides to chose the behavior, but if I
> would chose Layer > Above, then at least the Window buttons would be
> available. I guess I should test openbox, editing xml files isn't an
> issue, I needed to edit JWM's xml config. A small menu is what I want,
> for JWM the menu only provides what I often need and by
> Alt+F3 xfce4-appfinder is launched. I use JWM with a few Xfce4 apps,
> but I replaced many Xfce4 apps by other apps. Xfce4 is stable, RAM and
> computer's horsepower aren't issues, but I dislike some Xfce4 stuff. I
> don't want crappy GNOME software, I want a perfect terminal emulation,
> etc. this is possible with Xfce4, but you need to care about it,
> remove gvfs, install roxterm, xfe, rodent or similar, when the Xfce4
> defaults are not exactly what you want. JWM doesn't suffer from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacking_window_manager#Limitations .
> Does openbox suffer from those issues?

Openbox comes pretty much bare bones, so you can use whatever you want
for things like panels, clipboard, terminals and so on, it's just a
window manager with a menu system (and you can fill the menu however
you like).

Editing the XML files is rarely needed, there are programs like obconf,
obmenu and obkey that can do that for you most of the time.

I think it does suffer from that, but what is described there is just
something that happens when a program freezes. That happens rarely
enough not to be a problem.

Regards,
Philipp